Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Forever is a long time and I wouldn't mind spending it by your side

Hiking: sweat, heavy breathing, dirt, bugs, wild animals, scratchy plants, branches in your face, sunburns...worth it? No. 

I have never loved hiking. I am too much of a get it done person, and not enough of a stop and smell the roses person. Hiking while not taking your time just leaves you out of breath and sweaty. That is no fun! You have to take your time to enjoy the hike. Last year I hiked ensign peak all alone just to prove to myself that I could do it, and to see if I really did hate hiking. I took my time, and took frequent breaks and tries to enjoy nature and my surroundings, it was the best ensign peak hike I have even been on! Why because I had all the time in the world and didn't have to worry about keeping up. Have I wanted to do it again since? Eh, not really. Definitely not my first choice of activities. For me, I think solo is the way to do it though, I hate to be the one in the group to ask to stop! So embarrassing!  The only problem with solo hiking is that is it's not safe. So...no hiking for me! Darn! 

Every time I do go hiking the people on the trails are so happy and friendly, I on the other hand am just wondering when it will be over. Don't talk to me, don't look at me just keep moving. I don't mind nature...if it is covered in sunscreen and bug spray, and music. At that point I might as well just go to the pool! Now that is my kind of nature! 

Another weird thing I was realizing is people always talk about how the view at the top is worth it. For me a view is a view. After hiking halfway up Bells Canyon to watch the fireworks on the 4th of July I realized that the view over the Salt Lake Valley is the same on top of a mountain, as it is driving up any of the tall hills that overlook the city. Next time I opt to drive up somewhere high, not hike! Bleh! The view was good, but worth it? Not really. Plus I was all red and sweaty at the top! Gross. 

Another thing about the view. I can get the same breathtaking feelings looking at a picture, and that way I don't physically have to loose my breath! I love photography, and that is all I need to feel satisfied! So hikers, take pictures of your amazing views, and I'll give it a like on Facebook, but please don't make me go hiking with you! Thanks!


No comments: