Monday, April 22, 2013

I'm a new soul I came to this strange world hoping I could learn a bit about how to give and take

Hope is a funny thing. The definition of hope is: the feeling that what is wanted can be had, or that events will turn out for the best. Humans have hope in things we don't even realize: Hope that the sun will rise tomorrow, hope that we will make it to the celestial kingdom, hope that we will in fact get married and have a family. What about hope that people can change? If you read my last post you surely realize that I have a hard time trusting people. It takes a lot for me to be able to let go and hope in someone without reservation.
From the October 2012 conference until now I have heard numerous talks about seeing people not as they are now, but what they can become. Okay, I get it! Message received!  President Monson gave a excellent talk on the subject back in October. That talk made me realize that I don't do that. I don't have hope for people as they could become. I take people at face value, not wanting to push them too hard, for fear that it will push them away, or worse that they will just change for me, and not because they want to.
I guess the difference is trying to change someone, or wanting them to change, and hoping that they will realize the right thing on their own, and through their own experiences.
Just a little food for thought, and something I need to work on.

No comments: