Friday, March 7, 2008

Circles never end

"Let's raise the bar and see how well you do then."
He replied, "Then I might miss."

I queried, "If you don't raise the bar, how will you ever know your potential?"

I was reading a talk by Elder Perry from the October 2007 General Conference called Raising the Bar. It is so good and it truly inspired me! Sometimes I feel like I'm doing ok, I'm living my life the way I know I should, but I really don't feel like I'm challenging myself. I am doing what I should, but not excelling in any particular area. I am sick of just being content with what I am accomplishing, I want to raise the bar, and try harder.

I don't want to just clear the minimum standard, I want to exceed far above that.
We can't expect the standards to be lowered to suit us, we have to do our part and put in the much needed effort to not only clear the bar, but soar high above it. I think I am at the point in my life where I have definitely cleared the minimum standards.

Elder Perry suggests to raise the bar. That is exactly what I need to do. Try harder, put in more effort, take longer to do the things I know I should, and even more. Go beyond what is expected of me.
Elder Perry suggests that if we don't keep raising the bar how will we ever know our potential? He says that standards do exist, and we can't stop when we reach those standards, we must keep raising the bar. The higher we go, the stronger we will become.

I live in the mecca of Mormonism. Salt Lake City, Utah! There is a temple essentially down the street, there are plenty of uplifting and fun activities to be doing, but instead it seems like all I do is work and school! I always make goals to go to the temple, but it falls through. The best was over the summer when Jalene and I went once a week for about a month! It was amazing! I hope to follow through on goals like that again soon. Maybe once a month will be a good start. I am a busy little bee, and although it sucks it is necessary at this point.

No comments: