Monday, March 3, 2008

Why do we always have to fix things we did not create nor contrive?

I think that Wilson on Home Improvement is the most intriguing character! I mean think about it...we only see half his face, but still love him. He is kind of like the phantom of the show. We hear countless words of wisdom, but do we really know him? Can you really know someone without seeing who they truly are? Perhaps we just love him because of the example he shows to Tim and Jill.
Today in Relief Society we talked about being an example. I really loved the lesson it is so true. The people around us learn from our examples better then by our words. I think this is especially true to me. Growing up my mom always told us "now say your prayers, read your scriptures, eat your veggies, drink lots of water ect." But it really didn't mean a whole lot to me unless I saw her doing these things as well. I think nothing hit me more then going to ask my mom a question and finding her on her knees in her bedroom in solemn prayer. Those are the times that I look back and am so grateful for her shining example.

I may not have noticed it at the time, but I think it somehow sunk into my subconscious growing up and has made me want to be a better person. If my mom did the things she was supposed to behind closed doors and when no one was looking maybe there was more to it then I thought, and maybe the lifestyle was one I should emulate.

I have this friend who for the life of him will never do anything anyone asks him to. He is so set on being his own person that he waits until he feels like doing something himself. (even if he really does want to do it.) It is so annoying because in order to get him to do anything you want him to you have to play these stupid little mind games and totally twist everything around so he thinks you don't want him to. Then finally he will. It takes so much effort that pretty soon you seriously JUST DON'T CARE anymore. You just want him to get on with it and get on with your own life and your own day!Anyways this all ties into my point. I am so glad that I am the kind of person who just gets things done. I tend to roll with the punches and not analyze things to the ground. I just make decisions as they come. Another thing that bugs me is that when people freak out about why things don't go the way they planned and feel like their whole life is ruined. Seriously don't just sit around feeling sorry for yourself! Make something happen. For every problem there is a solution. Finding it is the hard part. Once you see it you can always see it. Finding it is always the hard part.

This is one reason I am so grateful for my friends! They help me through so many of my problems. Sometimes we are too wrapped up in the drama to find a reasonable solution, but talking about our problems allows for people who may have been in that situation to intervene and give advice, or suggest ways of thinking that we never would have seen. I want to be the kind of example that people will want to follow.

No comments: