Saturday, June 28, 2008

I am the lead character in my own story

I love doing the right thing at the right time, and being in the right place right when someone needs me most. I've heard stories all my life about someone reaching out and being there for another person who was struggling. I try to be there for my friends, but there is something different being there and reaching out to a stranger, who is also a child of God. I had an experience today that made me feel so close to the spirit of the Lord! It honestly filled me with the light of Christ and happiness.

I was just doing my calling that I have been procrastinating, and calling people in the ward with out pictures in the directory. I had received a lot of answering machines, and was beginning to think that really what I was doing didn't matter. No one cares about pictures, and although I don't understand it some people don't like their picture taken. So whatever. I'll do my duty and be done with it. Before I could even realize how bad my attitude was, it changed.

A stern sounding woman answered the phone. When I asked to speak to her daughter she immediately sounded like my mom did when any guy no matter who they were called for me. She was defensive and asked who I was and what I wanted. I told her that I was from the 14th ward and I just wanted to talk with her daughter for a minute. She immediately relaxed and got her daughter. Before I could wait to speak to her daughter the mother jumped back on the phone and told me how grateful she was that I called. She informed me that her daughter really needed fellowship, and someone to befriend her, and take her to church and get her involved again.

At first I was a little overwhelmed thinking how can I reactivate her? All I want is her picture!

When the girl came on the phone she sounded timid, and meek. I was instantly humbled. It was as if this nurturing impulse suddenly took over my mind. I just wanted to reach through the phone and hug this poor child of God. I don't know her circumstances, but I do know that she needs the church in her life. I explained who I was, and that I really missed seeing her at church (all though I really don't even know who she is...). I said I needed to get her picture for the directory so that the bishopric can get to know her better, as well as any members of the ward.

I was half expecting to have to convince her to come, or to give her a list of reasons why, but before I could even think of a rebuttal she suddenly burst out, "well "I'll need a ride." and I was like OK! No problem! I will do my best to find you one!

With that we ended our conversation. I asked Sarah to give her a ride since she lives really close. I really hope that we can fellowship this girl, and that she feels the love of the Lord in her life, and also the love of her fellow ward members! I'm really excited to see how this whole thing works out, but even if it goes no where I thank the Lord for this great learning experience!

No comments: