Sunday, February 6, 2011

If you talk you'd better walk you better back your crap up


Sometimes I forget what things were like growing up where Mormon was not the most common religious practice. I went to a Ski competition in Deer Valley last night, and I was surrounded by people not only from all over the country, but from all over the world. I think I had forgotten that in other places of the world the smell of beer and cigarette smoke is absolutely normal. I have been so sheltered here in Utah, that I actually noticed the smell last night, and it bothered me. Where as in Oregon it would have just been like eh, no big deal, I don't do it, but I know people who do for sure. I have been here in Utah for about five years; am I forgetting my roots? Am I forgetting what it's like to have to stand up for your beliefs and take a stand on things you find important? Dare to be different right? Am I still doing that here in Utah, where most of my friends believe the same as I do, and I know I will see them at church, or FHE weekly.
I love my life here in Salt Lake, don't get me wrong, I love my friends, and I love all of the social activities for people my age, and who have my same standards. I don't know if it's winter that is making me feel this way (because I feel like every day all I want to do is grab a few friends and watch a movie, since it's too cold to do much else), or if I just need a change.
Change is really scary especially starting off in cosmetology. Now would be the perfect time to move if I am going to because I don't want to spend years building up a client base only to decide down the road to pack it up and start over again. I really don't want to live in Utah for the rest of my life. I want to see what else the world has to offer me. I mean I haven't even been farther east then Utah! This is sad business!
I have been hearing tons about Paulo Alto lately, that sounds SOOO fun, first off it's California! Love it already. Second it sounds like there is a pretty good LDS single's scene down there, so it wouldn't be too different socially from Salt Lake. AHHh!!! I want to do it!!!!!!!! I wish it wasn't so expensive down in the great land of opportunity CALI!
I feel sort of like I'd just be going from one bubble to another though. Utah is definitely a bubble. I am in my own little Mormon world, where we say "sparit" and "prafit" and "mountn", and go to activities where no drugs or alcohol are served and see each other at least weekly. California is definitley a bubble too, a Hollywood bubble. AHHH!!! What to do what to do...

No comments: