Monday, February 4, 2008

As I deconstruct my thoughts at this computer

You know how when you are little and you parents or another slightly less annoying adult says the faithful words "because I said so!" it irks you to the 10th degree! You want to do everything in your power to uncover the "real reason" because you are so sure that there must be one. You promise yourself then and there that you will NEVER say that to your kids, or any other kids under your charge. Then one day...it happens! It slips through your lips like an old familiar refrain.

As soon as you reali
ze what you said you want to take it back! You are so shocked that you actually said it. The only problem is that you can't take it back because it will show inferiority! You just can't let a kindergartener think for one second that you don't know exactly what you are doing. So you sit there and think..."why did I just say that?" Then it hits you! It's all in the magic of the words. You are in control. You don't need a reason. You know best, and you know that kids could get hurt if they don't listen to your council.

I promised myself that I would never say "because I said so" to my kids because it isn't giving a reason. The story behind this blog is that a bratty little kid was climbing a tree at recess and I was like "Hey! Get down!" and he said "why?" and I said "because I said so!" Then I realized what I said! It was too late! I couldn't turn back now! So I just went with it. I should have said because you could fall and break your neck! That's why you stupid little brat! haha well we all know I wouldn't have said that so for now I'll just keep trying and we'll see what happens in the future.

No comments: