Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Imancipation of the word hate


It really irks me to the nth degree when people say I hate this or that! Hate is such a strong word! Like people who say I hate country music, or sports, or shopping, or organized religion, things of that sort, or even brands like Mac, or Nike. I just don't think that it is possible to truly hate something that is comprised of so many layers!

Let's take the classic "I HATE country!" Ok come on people, have you really listened to country music lately? I mean I used to be JUST like you! When I was about 12 or younger you could have asked me any day of the week and I would have said I HATE country music and I refused to listen to it. My famous reply would always be "come on, are you serious? You actually like that twangy, my dog just died, and my girl left me sort of thing?" That response got me through some good times of negativism towards country music.
Ironically enough I happened to have a best friend named Elyse. She was IN LOVE with country music at the time. I used to make fun of her so much and be like you are so weird, then one day suddenly, as if it had been growing on me for a while I just...liked it! As much as I hated to admit my mistake I was totally wrong! I loved country!!!! Not the twangy bluegrass crap mind you, the new funky, poppy, country!

County singers sing from the heart, not just to sell records and make catchy songs. So many of us can relate the the words of the great country singers! That is what I love about the genre so much! The first time I ever cried to a song was to Rascal Flatt's "Sarabeth:. Oh snap! I cried! Then to "She Didn't Have Time" I STILL get chills every time I hear that song!!! The end is just so powerful!!! And come on Alison Kraus's "When You Say Nothing At All", what girl wouldn't want to be serenaded with that song!!! :)

Anyways back to the original point, it just really bugs me when people say they hate something when really, they only see one side of said thing. The same goes for people as well. I mean I don't know how many times I have not liked someone at first, then when I got to know them I really loved them! There was this new boy in my ward, and at first I wanted NOTHING to do with him, I thought he was creepy and weird, turns out I was wrong...he's weird yes, but not so creepy! He is super outgoing and fun!

No comments: