Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A person's a person no matter how small


The lesson the other day in Relief society was just what I needed to hear. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason as it is, but this lesson just made me realize how true that statement is. Not only for myself, but for my ancestors and posterity!

The lesson was about people who made seemingly small and meaningless decisions that ended up being the reason we are who we are today, or affected our membership in the church, ect. It really made me realize just how blessed I truly am. I was born into the church, and raised with great values by goodly parents just doing their best. I don't know where I'd be in life right now if I wasn't a member of the church. I know I would be a good person still, but I just wonder sometimes if I didn't have such high standards to live up to would I have slid towards the side of the adversary a bit?

The reason I am in Utah right now living on my own is in large based upon my childhood, and the family life I had. All of my life my mom encouraged me to pursue my dreams, and graduate college. I am a first generation college student in my family, and out of the 27 cousins I have only 3 of us have even attended college. I guess I always wanted to prove to myself and to my family that I can do it. Another thing is my independence. I want nothing more then to be my own person! I could not wait till the day I could move out on my own, and run my own life without crazy curfews, chores, and annoying/bratty little brothers.

Independent life is everything I hoped for, besides worrying about money it ROCKS! I can do what I want, go where I want, and be who I want to be! No one to check into, no one to impress, just me and mine! So I guess I'm sort of veering from the original point a bit, but it is 1:10 AM...

Anyways...
I truly believe that we create our own destinies. The lesson we had on Sunday not only reiterated that point in my head, but also made me realize that the decisions I make now will not only affect me, but they will affect the children I will someday have and the husband I will some day be married to. It's so great to think that life isn't just a vein walk through/ corn maze type of deal. Things matter way more then you think they do, and to never give up!

No comments: