Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hold your head eye and look someone in the eye


Last night Heidi, Sarah and I were discussing being friendly to people on the streets. I spend a lot of time walking in my day to day life. Walking from my car to school, down the block to work and back. I see many strangers every day and usually just ignore them and hope they don't talk to me so I can listen to my ipod. The girls had mentioned that they both try to smile and say hi to strangers. I always think about it, but it is so scary to me for some reason! I think "oh what if they think I am hitting on them? What if they think I'm a stocker? What if they are a stocker? ew!" So I usually avoid eye contact! The thing with that is it takes SOOO much more energy to ignore someone! I notice when I am walking down the street jaming to my ipod that I am being so antisocial. Which might be boggling your mind right now if you know me. Yes it is true I am a social butterfly. I love to have fun and hang out with my friends. Key word friends. I LOVE meeting new people, but not necessarily strangers. I am more of a net worker. Friends of friends, or hanging out in groups then meeting strangers with people I already know, that sort of things. When it comes to people I don't know the inherent un-trusting part of me wants to hide and ignore them. What if they are creepy? I have heard way too many stories about rape, murder and being robbed that I just don't trust anyone I don't know. And even if I do know you it takes me a while to fully trust you.

So last night after making so'more's on my stove Sarah, Heidi and I resolved (well mostly me since they already do it) to smile and LOOK UP today! Say hi! It was so liberating! I did! I stopped looking down at my feet hoping weird people don't say hi to me or look at me, and I looked up! I smiled, I said hi to strangers! It felt so amazing! I would totally recommend it to everyone! It was so empowering! When you are having a bad day, say hi to a stranger! I have had a great day today! Partly because I have not been afraid to say hi! :) It does not take much effort to hold your head high and look someone in the eye! Do it! You'll like it!

No comments: