Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Human frailties


Am I a bad person because this boy at church annoys the crap out of me? Judging by this statement alone you may be persuaded to say answer my rhetorical question with a resounding NO! What if I told you this boy was not only infuriating, but way out of bounds in thinking and reasoning. Everything I say he contradicts (and not in a pleasant way!) Still on my side so far? Well here's the kicker...what if I told you that this infuriating, pig-headed, rude boy was slightly handicapped...then would you think I was a bad person????

Honestly where do we draw the line? Am I suddenly a horrible person for not being able to stand this boy just because he is slow at speech and his hands don't move like mine? I really don't know. I "try to be like Jesus" but this boy is just so annoying to me for some reason, and yet all around me I see people encouraging him, and telling him that he is perfect and not to change. I on the other hand am thinking that a little constructive criticism would do him good!

Seriously it is as if this boy lives in his own little la la land where people tell him he is the best cook, the best musician, the most widely known public speaker, and of course...popular? I am all for being kind and Christ-like, but sometimes do we take it a bit too literal? Ok maybe that didn't come out quite right...Is there a happy medium between constructive criticism, and being totally and loving and forgiving all the time? IF so how do we find this line?

I just find it really weird how I feel so bad for having such mean thoughts about this annoying kid simply because he has a slight handicap. If he were a normal boy without any physical ailments would I feel the same convicting guilt? Most likely not. So why do we excuse actions made by handicapped people whose brains work just as well as ours? I just don't think it's right.

No comments: